Friday, April 2, 2010

Subtlety: The Forgotten Power of the Holy Spirit

When most think of the "power of the Holy Spirit" what comes to mind is rushing mighty wind, cloven tongues of fire and speaking with tongues. Some think of casting out devils, laying hands on the sick, or one of the nine gifts of the Spirit. While these may be manifestations of the "power of the Holy Spirit," there is a power of the Spirit in the believer's life that is quite forgotten, the power of subtlety.

This is the power of the Spirit that is overlooked because it works, at times, when I am unaware of its presence. It is not audible or visible, and is often undetectable, especially to those around me. It is a work of the Spirit that brings glory to no one but God.

It is the power of the Spirit that gradually and slowly sanctifies me in practical and ordinary ways. It is at work when I find myself saying no to things that I used to say yes to. It is that small change in attitude toward a situation that normally disturbs me. It is the will to resist the seduction of besetting sins. It is inner peace about a situation that had been ruling me in fear.

It is the Spirit working change in me that I did not realize happened until after the fact. It is not flashy or glamourous, but dynamic none the less. God help us remember that you are at work in us in the mundane, not just the mighty. It is this power of the Spirit that worked for Elijah: not in the strong wind, the earthquake, or the fire, but in a still small voice.

6 comments:

  1. True power does not demonstrate needlessly.
    humility does not boast.
    Like the grace of God. These things, without apology, simply exist.
    Subtlety is "Power with Class"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rev. John R. CristApril 3, 2010 at 2:14 AM

    The Power of the Holy Ghost is not just a unique and isolated experience in our life. This power is a constant work of Grace, creating a lifestyle. Sometimes it shouts, mostly it just lives and provides quiet life direction. I love the post and Bro. Ben Petrella's comment, "Power with Class"

    Simple, quiet, spiritual elegance, moving in Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both are giving me so much stuff to steal for this sermon. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this and the comments.
    I am seeing God speak to me silently, beautifully,lovingly thru his manifesting new things into my spirit. Like a drink of refreshing water with rich trace elements of strength and grace consumed, yet unseen.It builds the bone, the marrow, the structure of my being. "Can these bones live? Thou knowest oh God."

    When you are done with this message link it to me. Thanks. Aunt Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Lydia:

    Thank you very much for your comments.

    ReplyDelete