Wednesday, December 12, 2018

An Invitation to go on the Record

An Invitation to Go on the Record
Introduction
            Pastor Phil Endris and I recently released a video on Forward Talk entitled, “We are Going on the Record.” The purpose of the video was to highlight a few reasons that we as the church and ministers should go on the record (click here to view that episode). The purpose of this blog is not to restate the reasons that we think that Christians should go on the record with their views. Rather, I am writing this blog to encourage others to go on the record in response to any of the Forward Talk videos, or to my personal writings or teaching. 
            CLARIFICATION: Allow me to make the clarification that I am writing this blog solely as John Carroll and not as Forward Talk. I am not writing on behalf of pastor Phil Endris.
The Invitation
            What do I mean by an invitation for you to go on the record? I mean that I am inviting you to take the opportunity to utilize any of the technologies available to you to respond to Forward Talk or to my personal content. Anyone may utilize YouTube, blogs or various other tools to respond to our published material?
            Why would I invite such a critique? I get almost weekly feedback from preachers in the form of phone calls, texts or social media saying that there is someone on a closed forum that is attempting to dismiss what you are saying. Furthermore, it is the rare occasion that a dissenter will contact me directly. The only preacher that consistently does it is pastor Steve Epley. A couple of others have done it on isolated occasions. 
            What I would love to see is some of the people who like to do remote keyboard strikes as they drone from behind the privacy of a closed preacher’s forum go on the record as I have. Even worse are those who deliver weak attacks cloaked in concern in private conversations where no record of their comments exists at all. Some fear that this open dialogue will cause division. I argue strongly that going on the record will cause no more division that we are currently experiencing as a result of private slander. The positive side of going on the record with our brotherly critiques is that the person being critiqued can actually clarify misunderstandings. It is exactly this level of transparency that the anonymous gossiping preacher resists at all cost. 
            It is no secret to those who are familiar with my work, that I taught a series on divorce and remarriage in early 2018. I have had many screenshots sent to me from various private forums where conversations were being had about my argument. There have been some men that have had very severe things to say about me and what I have taught—including calling me a false prophet. I did what no one has done in response, I went on the record. I have asked repeatedly that someone produce a video response to my material. I have asked that someone present a written critique of the arguments. So far, no one has made any serious attempt at responding to my points. Or at least no one has done it publicly. 
            Let me state clearly, I am inviting anyone to respond to my divorce or remarriage series. The body of Christ needs to see the ministry have respectful, public discourse. If anyone should respond on the record to my material, then I would respond again in kind. The sole point of this blog is to invite conversation which is so important to the body of Christ. 

As always, leave your feedback—on the record

2 comments:

  1. Interesting blog article. I love the import and agree that there should be more open discussions of the disagreements between us Apostolics. I do hope that the person or persons involved will do the honourable thing and go on the record. One thing I know about you Pastor Carroll is that you are not a false prophets. Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of going on record, do you believe in the inerrancy of Scripture? Any helpful books that you have read on this subject? God Bless!

    ReplyDelete