Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Divorce and Remarriage: May Both Parties in a Divorce Remarry?

My answer to this question is going to cause some people to jump off my bandwagon. Many Apostolics believe that the "innocent party" may remarry, but the "guilty party" may not remarry. In most cases, terms like "innocent" and "guilty" are are misleading. The Bible does not discuss the MDR question in terms of guilt or innocence. Rather, it discusses MDR in terms of covenant. The concept of covenant brings me to my first question. 

Whom Does A Broken Covenant Release?

For those who do not believe both parties are freed to remarry in divorce I have a question:

  • Is a broken covenant still in force? The answer to this question is, "No, it's broken." If it is broken enough for the party who did not break the covenant to remarry without committing adultery, then it must no longer be binding. If the covenant is no longer binding, then what covenant is being violated if either party remarries? The covenant can't be binding for just one party; it's either binding for both or neither. The only biblical answer is that once the covenant has been broken legitimately then both parties are free to remarry. 
In Deuteronomy 24.1-3 the woman in whom the uncleanness was found was free to go be another man's wife after she was put away with a bill of divorce.  She could not be another man's wife just being put away, because there was a covenant still in place. But if she was given a bill of divorce—even though the uncleanness was in her—she was free to remarry. There was no way to release just one party from the covenant. Again: it's both or neither. So the answer to the question about the so-called guilty party remarrying is, "Yes, they can!"

15 comments:

  1. As an Apostolic who believes that the "innocent" party may remarry but not the "guilty" party, I won't jump off your bandwagon lol. I have learnt a lot from you, even though I disagree with you in this regard. For clarification, in 1 Corinthians 7:10-11, Apostle Paul states that if the wife departs, she should remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. Are you saying that both the man and the woman can remarry? Given that they are divorced, which I believe is the case in the verse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am saying that if the valid, then both parties are free to remarry. IF "depart" in this context is "divorced"—and I am not sure it is—then the divorce would have been for an invalid reason. There is a blog where I lay out what I believe to be valid reasons for divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply. I thought you believed that "depart" in 1 Corinthians 7:10-11 has reference to divorce because of your debate with Mr Donahue. From the previous blog, I only see infidelity as the only valid reason for divorce and the others as invalid. In Matthew 19:9, it is clear that the spouse who did not commit infidelity may remarry if they choose. However, it is implied from this that the one who committed infidelity does not have permission to remarry. I just want to understand how you view that verse and my analysis. I think you will be dealing with it in a later blog, perhaps I should wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read my blog, Divorce and Remarriage: What Are the Permissible Causes?

      I don't Understand Matthew 19:9 in the traditional way. I don't think "put away" means "divorce." I think Matthew 19:9 is condemning marrying someone who is "put away" but not "divorced." See the distinction in Deuteronomy 24:1.

      Also, I have slightly modified my views from the Donahue debate. Have you read my entire series on this topic? I talk about the distinction between put away and divorce in earlier blogs.

      And Thank you so much for engaging the blog.

      Delete
  4. I think from memory, you didn't accept "depart" as divorce. I correct that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have read the blogs. I will read them again. I am a Oneness Pentecostal from Jamaica. I'm a young man who loves to study the word of God and listen to debates, especially between Oneness believers and Church of Christ members. I must say that the Apostolic Church is blessed to have persons like yourself and Bro Weatherly.

      Delete
    2. Awesome. What Church do you attend? I preached at PGT on Windward Rd in Kingston. I loved Jamaica. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. I attend Faith Chapel(now Faith Apostolic Ministries). Not sure if you have heard of us. I know you have been to Jamaica and preached at PGT. If you should visit Jamaica again, I'll make sure that I'm where you're preaching. Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bro Carroll
    Most apostolic that I associate with agree that remarriage in the ministry outside of death of spouse is adultery and therefore disqualified. What is your view if people in the church are remarried. Can they be used in leadership such as choir leader Sunday school teacher etc. Thanks in advance and Lord bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that even a preacher can remarry if he is divorced for a biblical reason. So I believe that they can teach Sunday school or lead choir.

      Delete
    2. I believe that even a preacher can remarry if he is divorced for a biblical reason. So I believe that they can teach Sunday school or lead choir.

      Delete
  7. And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.
    Jeremiah 3:8 KJV

    I agree that put away and divorce are different as well..

    In the scripture above both "texts" are used in the same sentence, I do believe they were put there for clarification of two different actions that's why "and" was inserted...

    Thanks for your post brother Calvin enjoy reading..

    ReplyDelete
  8. If remarriage is the adultery what sin is attributed to the person that divorce without a cause but remain unmarried???

    ReplyDelete